Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Step 8: Run fast, run far, run Philly!


Have I mentioned recently how much I love Philly? Nothing has affirmed my excitement about this great city as much as my experience this weekend at the Philadelphia Marathon. As I ran through the streets with 30,000 other runners in front of crowds at least double that size, my warm feelings toward this city swelled. From the Mayor’s send-off high fives, to the residents handing out tissues outside their homes, to the spectators who remained at the finish line even as slow-pokes like me rolled in many hours later, I witnessed the community commitment of the people of this city. Additionally, the route took us through the fascinating mix of landscapes that Philadelphia contains: over the course of 26.2 miles we passed grand museums; modern office buildings; historic monuments; prestigious universities; diverse neighborhoods; and more. In fact, throughout my training I have loved the opportunity that running has allowed for getting to know this new home. Philadelphia is remarkably approachable by foot, and I love that I now have a sense of how the remarkably different neighborhood landscapes fit together.

As Thanksgiving draws near, I also want to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the new people in my life who are making this year not only useful to my future career, but also fun! In fact, among those wonderful runners and spectators were several of my TEP classmates! Despite the cold weather and lengthy time commitment, they came out with bright signs and warm smiles to get me and the other runners through the race. Despite the countless hours that we spend together at the GSE building, our cohort also chooses to do things together outside the classroom and I feel so lucky to be developing these relationships with future colleagues and friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment