Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Step 5: Planning Ahead


As I mentioned previously, our year in the Teacher Education Program is divided into five terms, each with a different focus. While we previously focused on the neighborhoods in which we teach (Term I) and the children in our classrooms (Term II), in Term III we shift our focus to pedagogy. This term we will be planning, teaching, and analyzing lessons in each of the subject areas we study (math, literacy, social studies and science). In preparation for these lessons, we are currently discussing the components of a quality lesson plan. The template that we use reflects the values of this program - a good lesson is not just based on the content it includes, but also its reflection of the context it is taught within, and the students to whom it is geared. For example, long before listing the activities we plan to use, we must reflect on the background knowledge that our students might bring to the lesson as well as the questions or challenges they might find in it.

I will admit that the idea of planning out lessons like this that will fill not just one hour of class but a full day, for approximately 180 days in a year is still incredibly daunting to me. However, my professors are doing a good job breaking this preliminary task down into manageable pieces, and they are also being realistic about the fact that as teachers in the future, we may not write such detailed plans for everything we teach. However, the considerations included in this template can guide our actions in the future.

I do not know yet what exactly I'll be teaching for my lessons this term - but I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment