Friday, November 13, 2015

Step 6: A Community of Professionals

As I indicated in a previous post, one thing that is very important to me as a pre-service teacher is to feel as though I’m training to join a community of professionals. Without going too far into my rant on this topic, I believe that, in general, far too little credit is given to teachers in this country and it a goal of mine to elevate the teaching profession toward the status that it deserves. I feel very fortunate to be studying at a school whose Dean is a leader in this discussion on an international stage, and I am lucky to be surrounded by many who see teaching as truly intellectual work. 

In addition to those like-minded individuals I have found here in GSE, I am also excited for the opportunities I have to feel like part of a larger network of teaching professionals. Within the last week I was able to attend both a meeting of one of Philadelphia’s wonderful teacher networks (the Philadelphia Teachers’ Learning Cooperative) as well as the National Science Teachers’ Association area conference. In both of these situations I found my pen could hardly keep up with the suggestions and observations I wanted to be sure not to forget and I was humbled by the commitment these long-term teachers have to both improving their own practice, as well as supporting others’ development. The tremendous degree of the collaboration, resource sharing, and overall enthusiasm of other educators was inspiring, and I am proud to be joining their ranks.  

NSTA Conference Exhibit Hall Butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment