Monday, April 25, 2016

Step 26: The Home Stretch

Believe it or not, I submitted my last project of graduate school last night. As previously described, the Term V assignment is the Inquiry Portfolio, in which we develop a question to examine through our student teaching experiences. Our question thus serves as a lens through which we can reflect back on our year; in addition to this reflective purpose this project also gives us experience in using our classroom for teacher action research in the future. As a former education researcher, I found the Inquiry Portfolio to be a great opportunity to link theory I had previously explored to the classroom practice that I am currently engrossed in.

When I recognized this connection, I actually changed my Inquiry Topic to something that I studied in my former work. In the past I was particularly interested in researching the effect of noncognitive factors on student success. These include a wide variety of feelings and concepts that students get out of school that are not specifically academic in nature. A well-researched noncognitive factor is self-efficacy, or a students' belief in his or her ability to succeed. In the past I have evaluated and written about the extent to which increasing students' perceptions of self-efficacy positively influences their performance (academic and behavioral); and so in this portfolio, I took the opportunity to explore the ways in which, as a teacher, I could build self-efficacy. This link between my past work and future career was a fitting culmination of my time in this program. And yet, interestingly, this all seems somewhat anticlimactic. Indeed, I am left somewhat "unsatisfied" - though by this I do not mean that I am disappointed. Rather, I think that this sense of dissatisfaction comes largely from the fact that I am not "done" with anything. Although my coursework is mostly over, my preparation as a teacher has only really just begun.

Logistically, however, the year really is wrapping up. We have two seminar classes remaining, and the last day of student teaching is next Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment