Sunday, January 10, 2016

Step 13: Storytime!

When I think about the best things about teaching elementary school, most of them involve the relationships I get to build with students and the classroom community that I get to be part of. But selfishly, another aspect of it that I truly love is the chance to return to many of my favorite books and characters I had almost forgotten. Beginning this summer in our wonderful Children's Literature course, I was thrilled to surround myself with familiar "friends" from the past such as Chrysanthemum and Miss Rumphius and "meet" many new ones, too. My bookshelf is slowly filling up with picture books and early chapter books, and my holiday wishlist reflected this re-awakened love for children's stories! Stepping in to my new third grade classroom I was reminded of my voracious appetite for chapter books at that age and it is so fun to watch my students tear through series the way I once did. I am now re-reading many old favorites as I plan for literature circles that I will lead with my students, and it is both delightful to return to these stories, and also exciting to be able to share them with new audiences. So many great chilren's books are timeless in their appeal, so while I may not be able to keep up with the latest TV shows or music that my students follow, we can always connect over Ramona, Amber Brown, or other literary leads!





No comments:

Post a Comment