Monday, January 4, 2016

Step 12: Day 1, round 2!

Happy New Year! I am so excited to think that 2016 is the year when I will become a fully-credentialed teacher. Before then, however, I have the opportunity to learn from a new Classroom Mentor - this time, a 3rd grade teacher at another school in Philadelphia! Today was my first day in my new student teaching placement, and I am full of both excitement as well as some nervousness about this term. Right now, it's hard for me to believe that these unfamiliar faces will soon be students who I will know as well as those I got close to in the fall. Somehow I'll know their currently unfamiliar classroom routines consistently enough to teach them full-time in the spring (more on this later!) I hope to speed along this "getting to know you process" by spending even more time in the classroom this term. In fact, my schedule has dramatically changed this term - I will now be student teaching Monday through Thursday, and taking far fewer classes (Tuesday and Thursday evenings as well as Friday mornings only). This changes once again in March when we begin to go to our placement classrooms all five days of the week! 

In addition to student teaching and taking classes, I also need to take the PECT (Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests) in order to become credentialed. I'm actually taking these mandatory exams next week with the hopes of passing before job application season begins. TEP is setting up a series of recruitment events this spring that should help us embark on this complicated process, and I will certainly keep you posted on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment