Monday, February 8, 2016

Step 17: Roses, thorns, and buds

Although I have only been training as an elementary school teacher for a short amount of time, I have long been a fan of many of the group games and activities that many associate with the profession. Among my favorites, are "warm fuzzies" (yes, you really can spend time just saying nice things about people), and "roses, thorns, and buds." The latter is a version of "highs and lows" that I think positively provides space to reflect, but also to look forward to what is still to come. At the beginning of this week of student teaching and classes, I'm going to spend some time sharing with you the rose (highlight), thorn (low point), and bud (something I am looking forward to) on my mind.

Rose: I LOVE reading aloud to my kids. I think sharing a story is simultaneously a knowledge-building and community-building activity as well as just calming and fun for everyone. I plan to build a chapter book read-aloud into my classroom's schedule regularly, and I particularly like the idea of it as a way to re-group after lunch recess. In my current class, we do read-aloud once or twice a week, including before lunch on Mondays and my Classroom Mentor has been incredibly generous in handing this over to me! The 30 minutes that I get to spend with the book and the kids is frequently a highlight for me, and today was no different! My students today got particularly excited about making predictions about the story and the direction it was heading.

Thorn: I made a mistake today, and worst of all, rather than just making me look stupid (acceptable, sometimes),  it actually made one of my students feel incompetent (NEVER acceptable). What happened was, I planned a number talk for my third graders that began with two, multi-digit addition problems as we have been doing for the past few number talks. The students have been really impressing me with the strategies they share as well as the way that they listen to and build off of their classmates' strategies, and I thought that it might be time to throw in a subtraction problem. I did this, however, without floating the idea by my Classroom Mentor (the "real" teacher in the room), who knows the kids' grasp of subtraction much better than I do. The question did not completely flop - in fact, several students articulated great strategies for solving a subtraction question in their heads; however, I found myself unprepared for clarifying a complete misunderstanding of one student. As I tried, and sought other students' support in helping her out, the whole thing stretched far too long. In the end I needed to wrap it up without this student "getting it". I tried to avoid leaving her with a feeling of hopelessness by saying that we would work more on it and that she would share her solution next time; however I hate that she had to feel under the spotlight for being "wrong", and that the whole lesson dragged on so long that the other students, who were previously engaged, completely lost interest. I believe this flop today demonstrates to me the need to not only plan thoughtfully and carefully, but also to manage time well, too.

Bud: My school has Friday, as well as Monday, off for their "mid-winter break" this weekend, so this Thursday will be our class' Valentines Day celebration. Not only does this mean that I get to try my hand at a pink and red recipe, or two, but best of all IT'S PAJAMA DAY!!!!! I have not had one of these for years, and am so excited I even ordered myself a new pair of PJ's for the occasion! From group bonding games to snacks, crafts, and celebrations, I LOVE elementary school and keep finding many reasons that confirm my choice to pursue this career!

No comments:

Post a Comment